LIFE just simply prevented me from throwing any dinner gatherings all winter. I had to make up for lost time before jetting off to China.
Thus, after collecting 12 plates from various locations across the globe, a notion fold an ingredient challenge into the mix rose like fermenting yeast in summer.
The invite READS:
What crazy concoctions will be created and tasted this Friday? Are you already dreaming up creative contributions? (Considering Lucky Charms? Cans of Creamed Corn? A package of Italian Sausage? Spam?) Are you
imagining what fun plate you might end up with as a parting gift at the end of the evening?
Here are a few reasons WHY you are coming:
1) It’s Friday, and after a week of work, you don’t want to cook anyway
and are sick of the mundane meals you’ve been chowing on
2) You have to eat anyway and it might as well be “tuna surpise“
3) you are devilishly excited to stump K’s culinary ego
4) you need a “new” antique plate for your dinnerware collection. You
are already planning to break it out when needing something to cradle
pickles, Ritz Chips and Cheese Whiz the next time you host guests.
5) you’ve never tried a Manhattan and are guessing that you and other
guests might appear more witty or racy arriving on an empty stomach and
waiting 30 minutes for something edible to be scrounged up
6) your spouse is dragging you and you feigned being out of the country
on the last invitation
7) you really want an excuse to donate money to a good cause
Here are a few rules for K’s challenge:
Combine dinner guests ingredient choices to create three courses:
starter, main dish and dessert. She can use any additional items from
her pantry or freezer, but CAN NOT refer to any recipes.
1) Arrive between 6:30 and 7
2) Dressed to Impressed
3) with enough of an ingredient for 10 servings
4) and some $ cash to buy your plate for the evening. Or making a
5) patience and self-entertainment while each course is prepared
6) and an adventurous palate.
A Manhattan Perfect will be served upon your arrival, followed by any drinks GUEST can make from the bar, wine, beer, soda, and water. But save one for me! I’ll be in the kitchen!
12 guests brought the following: white fish, red fish, spinach, macademia nuts & cous-cous, linguine, shrimp, gnocchi, berries, tofu, ricotta, mushrooms
I got cracking immediately….and yep, I was having stressful fun
First, I created stuffed mushrooms and basil peanut baked tofu (sorry! It was lapped up so quickly, I got NO pics!)
then, Course 2: coconut curry red fish over orange honey macademia toasted cous-cous, white wine shrimp and white fish bruschetta with spinach ricotta linguine
And finally, a calfoutii with baked gnocchi and berries….
Later….this is where toasty turned into toasted
Such a Full-Filling Time….Indeed! We raised almost $200 for the cause.
This weekend was so FULL FULL FULL that I almost am sad to go to China for 2 weeks….life here is pretty amazing…but what adventures await for me out East?